Peace Outside

"Ruminations, Illuminations! Vocabulary, sing for me in your cage of time, restless on the bone's perch."

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Ruminations of varying degrees of interest

This morning, I braved a dust storm to look at an apartment, which as of tomorrow I will be renting, but that wasn’t important. I pulled waste-bins out of the street into which they had been blown by the gusts that elsewhere had been powerful enough to topple trees and strip roofs from garages and blow windows in, and I walked beneath precariously-placed limbs in the midst of the still-raging maelstrom of wind and dust to politely remark to a gentleman that his car was in danger of getting smashed, but while these moments certainly made an interesting morning, they weren’t really important.

In the early afternoon I did some other things I don’t remember. In the evening I ate and went to a bar with my good friends, had two mixed drinks, and got mildly tipsy. This mattered even less.

Before I left my friends’ apartment to find myself food and drink, I began, for a reason I can’t remember (not important) to talk about my desperate longing for meaning to, for, in my life. Here is what I said: I wanted direction, but more significantly I wanted connection to something larger. Put simply, in the terms I have grown up with, I needed God in my life. And I couldn’t figure out how to find it.

I have not always been rational. I doubt I truly am even now. But my mind cannot wrap around the sort of things that my acquaintances in church and church school accept with simple faith, and as I have admitted to myself before this, I feel both contemptuous and painfully jealous of them. God is, they say. Jesus loves you. The Spirit moves within me. Miracles happen.
Oh, how desperately I want to believe these things are true! I don’t know if God is God in the way I have been raised to believe he/she/it is. I don’t think the Christian way of believing is always the best. I don’t even, on a frequent basis, really think I can justify believing in a God with any sort of rationality. The only thing that keeps me hoping for that connection to something greater, to divinity, is beauty. I lust after transcendence. I catch glimpses of it in music, in art, in literature. I have always yearned for my life to have depth and mystery, and in the past, I have found ways to make it, to find it. But I have lost, these past few months, any sense of hope that I will transcend. And that is what I truly crave.

I am too afraid to experience it. I have learned to be rational, you see. I have learned that miracles don’t really happen, they are coincidence. I have learned that visions of heaven are flights of fancy the visionary perceives as real. I have learned that out-of-body experiences are in fact documented psychological phenomena, and a lot of spiritual gurus are probably on drugs. Even the average Christian will probably agree with me on these. I have also decided that “spiritual experiences” can’t be trusted as they are probably just emotional highs. So how, if I have arrayed a perfectly reasonable wall of cold, clear rationalism around myself, can I possibly attempt to climb over its icy and solid walls into the realm of fantasy and spirit and transcendence and mystery?

I can’t. In the end, I tell myself I only believe mystical things happen because I want that to be the case, and that is hardly a good enough reason to delude myself into believing in them. I can argue with myself that people I know, and trust, and who are even more rational, intelligent, and rigorously – even ruthlessly – practical…even they have had experiences I can’t imagine. Never mind that my dear friend Liz said that she herself questions them every day, and hates herself for it, but can’t seem to stop.

I haven’t had a single experience with the supernatural. Liz says this may be a good thing, because then I can more easily explain these things away, but I already half believe in them anyway; why should I be deprived of experience?

“Well,” Liz told me this evening, “You have to actively seek it.”
I am afraid to.

I want truth, you see. What if an experience isn’t true? What if I am lying to myself by saying it is? I hate the wanting because if I had no desire for supernatural connection I could be a perfectly rational atheist and live my life as best I could, fulfilled because there was no divine, and so I would have no need for one and the world would be beautifully explained by science and natural law. I hate the rationalism because if I was a born-again Christian with Jesus in my heart, I could call atheists poor Satan-misled unbelievers and take great joy in Jesus’ loving sacrifice for me, and cry at spiritual revivals and believe everything the Bible says, and all evidence to the contrary would simply be Satan trying to lead me away from God. But in truth, both options repel me.

So for a while now I have been avoiding the issue entirely. Oh, I think about myself and those two parts of me – it is the same old story I have been rediscovering about myself since I entered college. I’ve been managing, however, to suppress my spiritual side these past few months. I have not been seeking. I am simply too afraid I won’t like what I find, because I know no matter what happens, I will never be entirely happy with it. That is not even touching on the issue of I have no idea which religion is the “right” one. Or even just the right one for me. I have been raised Adventist, and I still carry that culture within me. I doubt I will ever escape it. At the same time, it is very hard not to reject it since it is the religion I come from and therefore all its flaws are revealed in crisp relief. So then I think of other religions…

Oddly enough, this was something of a tangent altogether. I have hashed out these longings and mental gymnastics to myself, to others, and on paper before. Essentially this blog entry was supposed to be something of a movie/poetry/song review. Because, bearing in mind that all of the above was still stewing in my had as I left the bar with my friends this evening, I ended up experiencing profundity in the oddest of places – sitting on a couch in front of a computer playing the DVD “Stranger than Fiction.” Which I had never seen before.

It was a glorious movie. It was, to me at that moment, a movie about living a life with meaning. It was also about what makes good literature, and even to a certain extent a debate on whether art is more important than life. But more importantly it explored, to me, the nature of a meaningful life and a meaningful death, and did so in subtle and beautiful ways. Still, the movie alone wouldn’t be enough. But I will post more about that later, because I am exceedingly sleepy.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 12:19 PM, Blogger Avi said…

    This actually was a post from two days ago - Friday the 4th - but I did not have internet then so I had to wait to post it.

     
  • At 12:37 AM, Blogger Ralikat said…

    No religion is the "right" one, first off. Truth is everywhere and in all religions we find man trying to get at a truth that he cannot hope to fully describe.

    Second, science is not as perfectly "rational" as everyone would like to believe. Science functions under the same premise that any religion does. It describes what man sees in the best words man can find to describe it in, calls it truth, and then takes that truth and applies it to a world in which he is attempting to discover more of the same (truth). It's actually quite absurd that nobody recognizes that science is really just another religion. Just as with Christianity or Buddhism or any other religion, scientific "truth" is constantly being revised and revamped and changed. Yet, in each age, just as with Christianity, etc - its followers tote the truth of now as The Truth.

    However, man cannot find The Truth. It is far too vast. And so, just as two people looking into the very same house - one from the front, one through a back window - each person has his own understanding of what reality really is. The best we can ever really do is question, test everything and then, through discussion with others and comtemplation and research/experiement, formulate constantly-open-ended truths that work for now.

    And as for having Jesus in your heart, I'm sorry but that is absurd. The real worth of Christ was his message - a message of peace, which was revolutionary for the world at the time. Everything was sacrifice this or sacrifice that and God will be pleased with you [which was a corruption of the message God had intended to send to peoples who had no way of knowing where they stood with their gods, saying: here is a formula to follow to dispell your anxiety about me (God) and know that I am pleased with you; once you do these things (not en endless amount of sacrifices), you don't need to do more.]. Enter this Christ guy (Joshua), who says that instead of all of that, live lives in peace with everyone as best you can, giving up everything you have in order to love others - just like that God how told you thousands of years ago where you stood with him loved you.

    I think that's why Christ died - not because God was angry and needed blood. But because people were angry and needed blood. Because if Christ hadn't of died his message would have just been the same old thing in new clothes - not really a peace message, but more violence couched in niceness. And so, Christ dies.

    Anyway, that's a long way of really just summerizig Rob Bell, who has a really neat way of making Christianity make more sense. My point is, though, that I don't think the whole teddy-bear "Jesus in my heart" theory is worth much of anything. But I do think that Christ as a person did have some great things to say about how people should live.

    It's alot like Buddhism, really. Time corruption, I mean. Because there was this guy - Christ - who had a lot of revolutionary ideas about how people could live with people, about religion, about love and moral obligation. Then, thousands of years later everyone has this guy in their heart?! And in Buddhism, there was this guy - Siddharta - who had some revolutionary ideas about how to get rid of selfishness and live in harmony with people (sound similar), and thousands of years later everyone is giving fruit to a guy who said that he had nothing to say about who to worship, but that he was no god. It's amazing what time does.

    But all that to say, really, that I think there is no one "right" religion, and science is included. Because "rationality" is not the answer-all that we think it is. Everything we believe in is human-made constructions of a reality that we really only ever see like the man looking through the back window of a giant mansion.

    I have no idea if any of this a) is useful or b) makes as much sense as I hope it does. It is late and I do have a cold.
    But I hope that it at least has some worth and gets across some of what my thoughts are.

    And if all of that is utterly useless: go to every length to question everything and only keep that which is tested and good. And then, question everything again.

    PS. Some of where my ideas are coming from: Rob Bell - Velvet Elvis, and his tour called "The Gods Aren't Angry"; Robert Pirsig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and Lila

     
  • At 1:23 AM, Blogger Fateduel said…

    Everyone seems to have this image of rationality as a stern cold-hearted man making life and death decisions about sad orphans. I think that's funny.

    I have been trying to say whatever it was that Rali was saying, by way of resaying it and agreeing with it. But she already said it and I can't get to resaying it any other way.

    So, I agree.

     
  • At 1:17 AM, Blogger Avi said…

    Yeah, I know what you mean, Rali. I know all of that in my brain - indeed, it's excactly what I believe at the moment. It was just my feelings that were getting in my way.

    I've been wanting to read that guy for a while now.

     
  • At 3:45 PM, Blogger Ralikat said…

    Which guy? I listed two :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home