Peace Outside

"Ruminations, Illuminations! Vocabulary, sing for me in your cage of time, restless on the bone's perch."

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

It's official: I am a sad and lonely little girl

Another of my close friends just told me she is officially engaged. She is having her wedding in June. This makes her the third girl friend of mine to be engaged and planning a wedding. Actually, if I want to get technical, she is the fifth friend (two of the grooms-to-be are also good friends of mine) to be engaged within the last year or so. And at least one other couple among my friends is pretty serious.

As it is, I am going to be in three weddings in the next two summers.

Me = never had a boyfriend. Hell, I've never even been on a date.

Is it any wonder that I feel like a supreme loser? All three of my best female friends are getting married/ planning weddings, etc... and what do I have?

My only consolation lies in the fact that my best male friend is also single and lonely. It makes me feel a little less like a loser - or it would if I failed to take into account that he has had many girlfriends in the past. Allow me to remind you how many boyfriends I have had:

Zip. Zilch. Nada. Nyet. Kein.

And YES, I AM HAVING A PITY PARTY. Please, let me whine. You may only yell at me for being self-pitying if you are in the same siuation as me - otherwise, your arguments are null and void.

What the hell is wrong with me? I ask myself this question every day and I cannot answer it - well, face it, I don't want to find an answer. I wish I had the self-confidence to be happy and single for as long as I needed, but I simply don't. If I wanted to be honest with myself, I would admit that I derive my self-image from other people and their opinions more than I ever listen to myself. Being single like this is not only very lonely, it is also devasating to my ego. And perhaps that is part of the problem.

Perhaps if I start growing a backbone the boys will start liking me?

13 Comments:

  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger Valakun said…

    Heh, I really don't think a backbone is your problem. I know you've got one. It takes one to leave your home country for 9 months and travel europe so no worries there. As the for the boys...they just don't know what they're missing. Seriously. You're a great person, a damn good friend, and very pretty. lol. I'd give you a hug if you were here, but then I think Daphne would punch me.(Just kidding)Granted, 20 years and no boyfriend is tough but I'm absolutely sure someone will come along and give your heartstrings a tug one day.

     
  • At 11:18 PM, Blogger Avi said…

    Aww, that's very sweet of you. I am sure Daphne would punch you *cough hack* I mean NOT punch you...

    Anyway, the sentiment is appreciated.

    I don't know what's wrong with me, really, but I guess I just have to let things be. Either that or get very drunk and ask a guy out... heheehee.

     
  • At 11:43 PM, Blogger Valakun said…

    Gehehehe...as fun as the "get drunk and ask a guy out" thing sounds I wouldn't recommend it. But then you probably know that. ;) And i'll be sure to scream "AVI MADE ME DO IT!" while D's beating the tar out of me.

    And you're very welcome.

     
  • At 7:54 AM, Blogger Andunneana said…

    Why is it that my personality has thus been confused with Rali's. I am not the violent one she is. I know Vala's just being a sweetheart and speaking honest words to cheer up a friend.

     
  • At 8:53 PM, Blogger Avi said…

    Well, mostly because it's funny to imagine you beating the tar out of him, actually. I do, after all, usually think violence is pretty funny.

     
  • At 2:29 AM, Blogger Ralikat said…

    Fine. I'm totally going to beat you all.

    Even Widge.

    So there.

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Blogger Avi said…

    THAT's my girl!

    And I will totally beat you back so you don't feel left out. How's that?

     
  • At 1:52 PM, Blogger Valakun said…

    And i'll beat you all back. I'm getting rather good at it too. I'm testing for my green belt in TKD tomorrow.

     
  • At 3:17 PM, Blogger Ralikat said…

    I weep.

     
  • At 10:19 PM, Blogger Avi said…

    So will you be beating me up before or after you give me that sympathetic hug? I want to know so I can be prepared for the BETRAYAL!!!

    ...Imagine me bellowing that last bit out really suddenly and loudly and scaring the bejeesus out of you, k? It'd be fun!

     
  • At 10:39 PM, Blogger Ralikat said…

    It would be fun. And you'd make me smile...and that would be a feat in these days...

    so thanks.
    i love you

    Oh and I must point out the irony that now you're all happy in comments -- and whose the sad/lonely little girl now? Strange dycotomy...

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Blogger Avi said…

    Don't get me wrong, between comments I am still sad and lonely. But it's hard to remain depressed when I have such good friends to cheer me up!

     
  • At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    same here...21 years and no boyfriend... you can't help but question what is wrong!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home