Peace Outside

"Ruminations, Illuminations! Vocabulary, sing for me in your cage of time, restless on the bone's perch."

Thursday, November 24, 2005

It's too beautiful to happen...

Durham University MA in Medieval and Renaissance Studies

How much more perfect can it get? I mean, first of all, it's a cross-disciplinary master's degree in exactly what I want to study. Second of all, it is in ENGLAND, back where my other home was (and still, in part, feels like it is). Third, it is DURHAM, where there is the most stunning Norman-style Cathedral, a castle (where some of the classes are!), a fabulous music program, and best of all, lots of BEAUTIFUL college boys. I know. I was there. And seriously, they were everywhere. I don't know why it is, but it's true - every few feet there'd be another gorgeous boy. It was most gratifying on the eyes.

But to be serious, for a moment. Lovely lads aside, this university would be ideal for what I want to do with my life. Basically, if I want a degree in Medieval studies, I will have to go somewhere overseas (and England would of course be preferable given that I know the language). It seems that Oxford or Cambridge would be absolutely delightful, but frankly, I'm a bit worried that my grades won't be good enough. I know I still make honor roll, but I think they might demand more than that - and I don't know if I can make that grade even if I pull straight A's for the rest of my undergraduate career. Which I won't anyway. I don't know what Durham demands, but I'm crossing my fingers that since it isn't as famous as Oxford they'll let me in...

But that would be too good to be true.

I am trying to hard to apply myself but this quarter has got me beat. I had too many demanding classes all vying for my time, and I'm not even exempt this vacation. "Deal with it," they say, and "welcome to the real world". Maybe I'm just not ready for it yet, but I feel totally swamped.

Oh well, a girl can still dream of the future. And I would love that future to be in Durham... *sigh*

2 Comments:

  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger Ralikat said…

    Why didn't Gaia just spell Durem like that? They're retarded attempt at German bores me.

    Anywho, hope the college thing does in fact work out. It'd be awesome and Widger and I could come and visit you :P

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger Avi said…

    Are you saying Durham is a more Germanic spelling than Durem? It is an English town, not a German one!

    But... I suppose that makes sense as Old English was much closer to German than it is to modern English... Hmm. maybe I should fins out what the origins of the town's name are. *cogs are turning creakily*

    And yes, that would be awesome fun!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home