Peace Outside

"Ruminations, Illuminations! Vocabulary, sing for me in your cage of time, restless on the bone's perch."

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Luck

I suppose I should count myself lucky. Somehow, inexplicably, I have been able to forge close friendships in places where I would expect to be a stranger. As a self-proclaimed "shy person" - one who never goes out on a limb or *gasp* actually initiates conversations (the horror!), one would expect me to be lonely and friendless. Somehow, however, I still manage to find people who share my interests and - even - become very close friends. That these people always seem to be stronger, more competent, and possessing more integrity than me occassionally makes me wonder if I possess a talent for being a syncopant - but that is uncharitable, I suppose, to me and to my friends. I am simply attracted to the sort of people I want to be, and - somehow - they seem to think having me for a friend is a good thing, too.

Yes, I HAVE been lucky... or maybe it is merely God watching out for me. I really don't think I could find these people on my own. It always seems to take me by surprise when I suddenly have friends around me... and friends of the kind of quality I should, by rights, only be able to dream about.

Unfortunately, it feels more like a problem than luck right now. Since being at Newbold, I have forged a group of friends as close as the ones I left behind; since being home and having a chance, this last weekend, to renew my old close friendships, I feel kind of split up. Not VERY much so, but enough to feel slightly uncomfortable. I suppose I just need to tell myself how lucky I am that I have friends in different places - friends that provide inspiration, warmth, and a feeling that I must somehow be more worth it than I realize. Being sort of divided isn't really a bad thing after all, if it means I have people I can rely on wherever I go.

10 Comments:

  • At 2:32 AM, Blogger Fateduel said…

    Yuppa, you got contacts. I can speak for Chicago when I say "Mi casa is your casa" but I don't speak for Chicago because they would be angry at me and probably cut out my tongue.
    But yea, my house is always open to be used. Just bang on the door until someone wakes up and you can sleep in the basement (it's cozy!)

     
  • At 8:28 AM, Blogger Ralikat said…

    with bugs.

    Anyway. Avi, it's wonderful to have friends all over, neh? And don't worry, if you have awesome friends in WA and completely forget us - I'm sure we'll be okay *wink*

    But no really, you'll always be someone I love and rely and need. So, in spite of my jokingness, don't worry; I'll make you keep in contact! :P

     
  • At 5:19 PM, Blogger Avi said…

    Ah, I love you too dear. I don't think I'll make my past mistakes of never keeping up with old, close friends. I am glad I have you to keep me on task, though!

    Bugs?

     
  • At 6:41 PM, Blogger Ralikat said…

    Yeah, there is a plethora of bugs in the basement -- or so I've heard. Aren't you glad he invited you, now?

     
  • At 2:19 PM, Blogger Avi said…

    Oh, quite.

     
  • At 11:39 AM, Blogger Ralikat said…

    Oh, and by the way, I've inspected the basement - and it's pretty bug free. And, even (gasp!) cozy!

     
  • At 6:45 PM, Blogger Avi said…

    *gasp*

    Surely you jest! Bug free AND comfortable? How am I to handle such news?

     
  • At 8:50 PM, Blogger Ralikat said…

    I have no idea. You could jump into a pool of worms or something :P

     
  • At 8:58 AM, Blogger Avi said…

    YUCK.

    ;p

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Blogger Ralikat said…

    Oh come on, Av. You know it'd be totally hott!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home